Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Digital Soaps

Happy hump day!  Today we have two features.  The first feature is one of my favorite shops on Etsy: Digital Soaps.  I absolutely love her stuff!  It's hard to pick just one item because the shop is filled with tons of awesome items, but I really love the PS3 Controller Soap.  In fact, I purchased some last year & everyone that I gave one to, loved it.  Plus, they smell fab!  However, I'm currently loving the Xbox Experimental Gadgetry Design Soap.  Not because it's Xbox (I'm a PS3 chick!), but it's soooo cool looking.  If only there was a PS3 one :)  Okay, enough of my chit-chatting, let's get to know this awesome shop.  By the way, check back at 12pm EST to see our second feature.


Q: How did you come up with your shop name?
A: The name "DigitalSoaps" was created right on the spot, when I opened my shop. It had a ring to it and just seemed to fit.

Q: Do you only sell online?
A:  I sell my products primarily online, but they are also sold in a few shops. I also have started bringing them to gamer conventions.

Q: What inspires you?
A: Nostalgia. I have an affinity for the older systems like NES and SEGA Genesis. Overall, my favorite inventions are the ones that either challenge me (like the Portal Companion Cube), or bring me back to childhood.

Q: What is the hardest part of what you do?
A: Once I have a design down, there's a repetitive nature to making multiple bars of soap. Inventing new designs takes away from the potential monotony. I am always excited when I introduce new designs.

Q: What is one of your favorite items from your shop?
A: My favorite is the NES controller soap. That system took up a lot of my childhood -- in a good way.

Q: Do you only sell on Etsy? If yes, what made you decide to use Etsy instead of sites like ArtFire and MadeItMySelf?
A: I actually used to buy handmade soap on Etsy, and so when I decided to make soap it was the only site that came to mind. It was only later that I learned about other sites. I don't actively sell on them yet, primarily because it takes time to set up new listings. I'm pretty busy on Etsy. I do have some listings up on Broodr.com though.

Q: Is Etsy your only "job", or is it something you do on the side?
A: Etsy right now is my full-time job. It's been my primary source of income since 2009, and it's growing. Last year I wrote articles on the side for eHow and LiveStrong. This year, I haven't had the need to find a side job. Some major challenges have come up for sure, but I've survived.

Q: Are you attending any art shows in the future?
A: I am planning to sell at Seattle Retro Gaming Expo, Sakura-Con, GeekGirlCon, Pax, and Norwestcon in 2013. This will be a huge expansion into gaming conventions.

Q: Any future projects?
A: I make some soda-scented liquid products like bath gel and shampoo, and I expanded into hand sanitizer. The next step for that is a room spray or body spray -- Eu de Dew. I am also working on a Pokeball with a Pokemon in the center of each one.

Words of Advice from Digital Soaps: Jump right in! Make sure your product is quality, but don't let imperfections hold you back. If I'd waited until my products were perfect before bringing them to market, I might not be the inventor of game controller and gadget soap.        

1 comment:

Qasim said...

really it`s amazing idea..I can not note a difference between Digital soap and real stuff...oh if I use Digital soap in my bath maybe I play with it rather than use it!