Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Jennuine Design

Happy Tuesday!  Today we're featuring Jennuine Design from Bay City, MI.  One of my favorite items is the Nautical Signal Flag Pillow.


Q: How did you come up with your shop name?
A: I wanted a name that would allow me the flexibility to change what I made and sold over time. My sister in law Jean used to use the nickname "Jeanious" and I thought that was very clever and came up with a similar play on my name Jennifer with "Jennuine".

Q: Do you only sell online?
A: So far, but I've thought about reaching out to local boutiques and have a long-term goal of opening a brick and mortar shop of my own.

Q: What inspires you?
A: I read a ton of crafting blogs. I've competed in a couple of blog competitions which is where my most successful product - custom nautical signal flag banners - was first created. And I have a minor Pinterest addiction!

Q: What is the hardest part of what you do?
A: Trying to juggle completing orders with spending time with my two young daughters while trying to keep the house from falling to shambles.

Q: What is one of your favorite items from your shop?
A: My pinafores were my first product offered, so I have a soft spot for those, plus I think little girls just look adorable in them - we always get compliments when my girls wear theirs. Making the nautical signal flag banners really fill something within me. There's a bit of math/geometry involved and precision which appeals to the accountant in me, and the creative/sewing aspect satisfies my creative side.

Q: Do you only sell on Etsy? If yes, what made you decide to use Etsy instead of sites like ArtFire and MadeItMySelf?
A: I mostly sell on Etsy, but I have also sold through One Kings Lane. They approached me to do a wholesale order to be featured on their site. I really like the handmade community of Etsy and like feeling like I'm part of a greater whole even when I'm just sewing away in my little home studio (ahem - dining room).

Q: Is Etsy your only "job", or is it something you do on the side?
A: Accountant by day, wannabe artisan by night! I work three days a week at my day job and then I get a four-day weekend with my girls and my sewing machine.

Q: Are you attending any art shows in the future?
A: Eventually I'd like to do art shows but I'd have to expand my product offerings and figure out a way to make the nautical flag thing work for an art show.

Q: Any future projects?
A: I'd really like to create some sewing patterns for sale, but right now I'm pretty busy just keeping up with the status quo.

Words of Advice from Jennuine Design: Read. Look at your favorite shops and see how they present their listings. Experiment. Tweak things. Just try stuff. I listed the nautical flag banners in my shop on a whim because I loved how they turned out. I never expected them to become so successful. Practice. Photography can make such a big impact and you don't have to have a fancy DSLR to take good photos - use natural light, a simple backdrop and get close -- wait I need to go back and re-do some of my older photos now!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

great feature, thanks for sharing. I love items with a nautical feel, (but I hate the smell of salt water, lol)
Debbi