Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Holiday Ornaments

Today's feature comes to use from Leanne in Orlando. Her shop is called Holiday Ornaments. The perfect shop for Christmas ornaments. I had the pleasure to have a Q&A with her. Check it out below & don't forget to check her out.

Q How did you come up with your shop name?
A Since I hand design ornaments for the holidays, I felt like Leanne's Handmade Holiday would be a great choice. Unfortunately Handmade Holiday was already in use when I signed up for Etsy, so Holiday Ornaments seemed like the next best option.

Q How did you hear about Etsy?
A A girlfriend of mine told me about it, and thought it would be a perfect avenue for me to sell my ornaments.

Q How long have you been on Etsy?
A Since the end of August, 2010.

Q Is Etsy a full time job or something you do on the side?
A This is my passion, so no - it's not a full time job. Would I like it to be? Absolutely!

Q Since you make handmade items, do you buy handmade as well?
A Without a doubt! I'm a true believer in supporting my fellow crafters, and have made many dear friends through Etsy.

Q Do you prefer handmade over factory made?
A Handmade, hands down!

Q What is one of your favorite items that you've made?
A I claim that each new ornament I design is my favorite - it's crazy! But, I really love all the symmetrical look of striped materials.


Q What's the hardest part about the items you make?
A They're extremely time consuming. Each ornament is made from an individually folded piece of fabric or ribbon, which is strategically placed to make a quilted pattern. From beginning (prepping fabric and ribbons, etc.) to completion (adding bows, hangers and embellishments), each ornament takes between 2 and 3 hours to complete!



Q What inspires you?
A All it takes is a trip to my favorite fabric store - or to turn the corner and see the holiday ribbon aisle in any craft store. It's pure nirvana...

Q What would you say to a person just starting out in the handmade world?
A Don't give up. When I initially began making my ornaments many, many years ago - let's just say that they were *less* then appealing. Had I given up, I wouldn't be where I am today! As with anything, if you persevere, you can be successful at anything.

You can find her on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/HandmadeHoliday



Tomorrows feature: #14 Steufel

No comments: