Friday, December 3, 2010

Stefanies Sammelsurium

Today's feature comes to us from . Please sit back & enjoy a wonderful Q&A with steufel. Don't forget to get out her shop as well.

Q How did you come up with your shop name?
A Actually the story of my shop name is a little bit embarrassing. When I discovered Etsy a few years ago I never thought of selling so I registered with my usual screen name steufel (mixture of my name Teufel and surname Stefanie). Unfortunately, Etsy doesn’t allow you to change
your username – that’s the reason I’m stuck with this super-exciting shop-title “steufel” everyone is envy about :)

Q How did you hear about Etsy?
A When I started beading I soon realized that the choices in Germany are limited. Then someone pointed out that there is this great place called Etsy. I was hooked the minute I went there for the first time.

Q How long have you been on Etsy?
A As a buyer since July 2009 – as a seller since October 2010. So you talking to a newbie here.

Q Is Etsy a full time job or something you do on the side?
A Yes, I do. I’m responsible for the marketing at a local newspaper.


Q Since you make handmade items, do you buy handmade as well?
A Absolutely. I shop at Etsy all the time. I like the idea to support individuals so I try to get all my supplies there. It’s so much more rewarding to buy stuff from people who are committed to their work. And I think everyone on Etsy is committed.

Q Do you prefer handmade over factory made?
A Absolutely – you can feel all the love that went into making the particular piece. That is so great.

Q What is one of your favorite items that you've made?
A My first bracelet with my own handmade lampwork-beads. It is not that fancy and the beads are far from being perfect, but it has a special meaning to me.

Q What's the hardest part about the items you make?
A To find the time to make them. I have to work till six o’clock, sometimes later and I have a fiancĂ© who wants to spent time with me (and vice versa) so there isn’t too much time left for making jewelry. I try to get things done on the weekend. I love to sit down with my stash and come up with a new bracelet or necklace.


Q What inspires you?
A To walk around and look at people, places, pictures etc. Creating jewelry is a spontaneous process – at least for me. Ideas strike me every time and everywhere and sometimes it’s hard to wait till I get home and try if this particular idea really works out.

Q What would you say to a person just starting out in the handmade world?
A Enjoy what you do. Try to make things you like and not what the markets ask for. In the long run it will pay off and the whole creating process is so much more rewarding. And join a community. You meet great people like Kim here.

Blog: Stefanies Sammelsurium
Facebook: Stefanies.Sammelsurium
Twitter: steufel_1




Tomorrow's feature: #19 - peanutbutterpie

No comments: