Saturday, January 3, 2009

Mad Maggie!


Today's featured member is a jewelry maker from Farmington, Missouri. She goes by the name Mad Maggie Designs. Enjoy the Q&A below :)

1) How long have you been making the things you make?
My father taught me how to make jewelry in 1999 and I did it just for myself until 2005 when other people started asking to purchase from me.

2) What inspires your work?
My daughter, nature, the beautiful area I live in, and other artists!

3) What is the hardest of your work to make?
Wirework is hardest for me due to having Rheumatoid Arthritis at the age of 36 (My entire family has it), but all it does is slow me down a bit, and make the evenings a little painful! For now, it will not stop me from working with wire!

4) With saying that, what is the most difficult part in making any of it?
TIME! I have a husband, 3 year old daughter, a full-time nursing job and a home to run FIRST! Sometimes I have more designs running around my head than I have time to get them out! Thank goodness for my sketch book!

5) You have some neat items such as the I C E bracelet. Did you come up with those creations, or was it an inspiration?
The I C E bracelet was truly an accident of the strand of crystal sticks and the memory wire lying next to each other on the design table! I knew during the stringing of it I wanted some silver dangles on each end…….that is how it happens a lot with me. During the actual construction of an item the can designs change midstream!

6) My future sister-in-law told me about Etsy, how did you find out about it?
My mother went to an art show in Clayton Missouri and brought me back a postcard from a booth and the designer happened to have a link to Etsy on her website! The rest, as they say, is history! I signed up to sell in March 2008, but did not list my first item until September 2, 2008.]

7) Any upcoming ideas for the New Year?
TONS! I am chomping at the bit to get them up in my shop! New rings, GREAT new earrings that I am SUPER excited about, some new pendants that follows in the steps of my FAMILY Jewelry, bracelets, and sterling necklaces! You will have to stay tuned to my shop or blog to get a first look at them!

No comments: