Monday, August 20, 2012

Hailey Allen Designs

Our second shop comes from Greensboro, North Carolina: Hailey Allen Designs.  One of my favorite items is the Burgundy and White Glass Pearl Alternating Pattern Bracelet on Silver Chain with Lobster Claw Hook.  It's very pretty.


Q: How did you come up with your shop name?
A: I simply took my name and added “Designs” at the end. Simple and possibly not very creative but I wanted to brand myself as a designer and expand from there.

Q: Do you only sell on Etsy?
A: I sell through quite a few venues, both online and in person. Most of my sales, so far, have been through people I know but I have my jewelry up on a few other websites such as MadeItMyself, Zibbet, and Bonanza. Though, I originally began selling on Etsy.

Q: What inspires you?
A: I am most inspired by architecture and all forms of design. I have an interior architecture background so I naturally look at the aspects of design within structures and interiors. I look at the principals and elements of design – line, color, shape, texture, form, unity, balance, hierarchy, scale, and rhythm – and apply them to my work.

Q: What is the hardest part of what you do?
A: I have the most difficulty with advertising. I can make jewelry for hours but, when it comes to getting out and selling it, I lack patience.

Q: What is one of your favorite items from your shop?
A: I adore the black and white lace inspired necklace. As soon as I made it I fell in love. It has pattern, texture, and shine while being elegant.

Q: What made you decide to use Etsy instead of sites like ArtFire and MadeItMySelf?
A: I think Etsy is the most popular so I began with it. I knew other people who were selling and doing well so I thought I would join in.

Q: Is Etsy your only "job", or is it something you do on the side?
A: Currently, it is my only job and I am working hard to make sure it stays that way.

Q: Are you attending any art shows in the future?
A: I plan to. It is on my “to do” list. My city holds an indie market on the first Friday of every month so I plan to sign up for the October event. There is also a huge craft event that takes place after Thanksgiving that I’m looking into if it isn’t too expensive.

Q: Any future projects?
A: I have quite a few planned actually. I just started a crowd funding campaign to raise funds for these new projects. I’m hoping to start a line of custom hand stamped metal jewelry that is a bit different from the rest that I’ve seen. I have quite a few designs brewing for that. I also have a line of ornaments that will be up in the shop in the next couple weeks for the holidays. 20% of profits from the ornaments will be donated to Camp Carefree, a summer camp for children with disabilities.  If you would like to help me reach my goal and help an amazing charity, check out these links!
Hailey Allen Designs : Jewelry for all Occasions (igg.me/p/200341?a=995178)
Camp Carefree (www.campcarefree.org/)

"Getting sales take time so be patient. You may spend a lot of money on the way to that point but if you stay confidant you will begin to see sales and growth." - Hailey





No comments: