Friday, August 24, 2012

Groovy Garbage

Groovy Garbage, what a catchy name.  Before I checked out their shop, the name drew me to them.  This shop is from North Myrtle Beach, SC.  One of my favorite items Groovy Garbage is the Blue Sky Clutch.  Let's get to know this groovy shop & happy Friday!



Q: How did you come up with your shop name?
A: We were originally RubberRevival, That was when we were using only inner tubes. Back in 2007, I went to purchase the domain name and it was taken! I researched it and it is a mountain hiking shoe retreader! Sooooo back before Facebook had pages, we had a Rubber Revival group. I made a post, explained about the name and asked for suggestions! I really cannot remember who came up with it, but it stuck and it has opened our market from just rubber to include anything saved from the landfill

Q: Do you only sell online?
A: We are primarily on Etsy, but we do some Earth Friendly/Green events. We don't do so well at the average run of the mill show-we have found that events geared towards recycling are a better match for us.

Q: What inspires you?
A: It all started in 2007 when I purchased a mass produced recycled inner tube handbag for my wife Jane. I decided that I could do this, but with my own twist. I would say that Jane was the initial inspiration. She still inspires me! Now we as a team are inspired my the amount of trash that we as Americans throw away. We love to be imaginative and find new ways to use stuff!

Q: What is the hardest part of what you do?
A: The hardest part of what we do is juggling our home life with the Groovy Garbage. We operate out of our home in a spare bedroom.

Q: What is one of your favorite items from your shop?
A: One of my favorite items in our shop right now is the Woven bicycle inner tube/garden faucet coat rack.


Q: Do you only sell on Etsy? If yes, what made you decide to use Etsy instead of sites like ArtFire and MadeItMySelf?
A: We are only on Etsy at this point. I have listed early in the game, a few things on Ebay. Etsy seemed Easy and economical.

Q: Is Etsy your only "job", or is it something you do on the side?
A: Jane works full time as a Dental Hygienist, I was employed full time until February as a Cardiovascular Technologist. I was laid off due to lack of volume. I am still currently seeking full time employment. I wish Groovy Garbage on Etsy was enough to make the bills-it is not!! We are trying!!

Q: Are you attending any art shows in the future?
A: We will be attending the Annual Artisans Fair and Show at the Columbia Museum of Art in Columbia. SC on November 10, 2012.

Q: Any future projects?
A: We are always looking for ways to help the community! We may donate some items for an auction for the Florida Surfing Championship in October.

"If you LOVE it DO it! It is hard work, and sometimes not very profitable!" -Spencer



2 comments:

Groovy Garbage said...

Thanks for featuring Groovy Garbage!

Unknown said...

oh I love that coat rack. I just favorited it.
Debbi
-yankeeburrowcreations