Friday, March 11, 2011

Japan's Earthquake, Hawaii's Tsunami

Yesterday's Posting: Rain, duckies in scuba gear, photography, & food.

As I was on my way to bed last night, something on the news caught my eye. Japan's earthquake & tsunami. I read about it around 3am (I think). I woke up between 7:30am & 8am and saw that it was a 8.9 quake, their most powerful earthquake to hit in recorded history. I've been checking CNN's website about it every so often & it's just terrible. I was watching a video early this morning of Japan. I was particularly watching this one building & I was watching the water get higher and higher to this window on the building. Then I happen to notice this bridge like road with about 3 or 4 cars on it (not moving). Then I saw this man run from one side of the road to the other side. The water was so high, if he reached over, he could touch it. I can only imagine the thoughts going through his head. It is said that "200 to 300 bodies were found in the northeastern coastal city of Sendai, the city in Miyagi prefecture, or state, closest to the epicenter. Another 137 were confirmed killed, with 531 people missing. Police also said 627 people were injured." Not only was Japan hit, but Hawaii was hit by a tsunami. "The first impact in Hawaii was felt shortly after 3:07 a.m. (8:07 a.m. ET), according to Hawaii State Civil Defense, which issued a tsunami warning. The first waves hit Hawaii about 9 a.m. EST. A tsunami about 7 feet high was recorded on Maui and a wave at least 3 feet high was recorded on Oahu and Kauai." The entire West Coast of the US was on tsunami alert as well. "In California, tsunami wave heights of 7 feet were predicted at Port San Luis Harbor and 4 feet in Morro Bay. Santa Monica could see 2.8 feet". I can't imagine experiencing something like this & I hope I never do. Times like this make you realize our truly lucky you are that you didn't have to go through this. I have posted links below of different stories of the event, some of them have video. Let's keep these families in our prayers. They really need it.

Hundreds Killed in Tsunami After 8.9 Japan Quake
Widespread Destruction from Japan Earthquake, Tsunamis - with video
American in Japan: Quake 'Very Scary' - with video
U.S. Appears to Escape Major Tsunami - with video
Murrells Inlet, SC Couple Impacted by Japan Earthquake
Have Family or Friends in Hawaii or Japan?

No comments: