Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Through Sara's Eyes


Q How did you come up with your shop name?
A My shop name is my business name. When I started working after cancer, it was pretty traumatic. I had to re-learn everything and my view of the world had changed. I want to share that. I want to show how beautiful the world is, through my eyes, to others. Though I do wish I had never gotten cancer, it has colored my world. The black is blacker still, but all the other colors are much more vivid too.

Q How did you hear about Etsy?
A A friend showed me the site. She had been selling jewelry on it. I don't do much studio work anymore so this looked great.

Q How long have you been on Etsy?
A Nov. 19, '08, but I really didn't get serious with it 'till late '09.


Q Is Etsy a full time job or something you do on the side?
A This is what I'm doing full time. I'm really pulling my resources and pouring it into this.

Q Since you make handmade items, do you buy handmade as well?
A I do and have bought several times from Etsy sellers.

Q Do you prefer handmade over factory made?
A I do. There is care and attention put into every part of a handmade item & that is worth the little extra cost. There are so many keepsake-worthy items!

Q What is one of your favorite items that you've made?
A I love this. There are so many ways to interpret it and it was featured this year in the fashion e-magazine, VivaLaModa!. Go to the Past Issues, January 2010 issue #7 on page 13. It felt good to get published.


Q What's the hardest part about the items you make?
A Waiting for that sale!

Q What inspires you?
A Ohhh so much! I get inspired by stopping and looking. Looking up, breathing, and looking where I am. There is just so much and I want to share it, through my eyes.

Q What would you say to a person just starting out in the handmade world?
A I would say stay true to your art. Don't compromise. Get to know other shop owners. Network and advertise advertise advertise! Make full use of free networks.

FaceBook: Through Sara's Eyes Creative Photography
Blog: My Life Starts Now
Twitter: ThruSarasEyes
Website: Through Sara's Eyes

No comments: