Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Saffron Walden


Q How did you come up with your shop name?
It's a town in England. When I heard the name, I thought, "oooh, I like that."

Q How did you hear about Etsy?
A friend was shopping on it and told me about it.


Q How long have you been on Etsy?
A A bit over a year, since August 2009.

Q Is Etsy a full time job or something you do on the side?
A Side project. I would be making ornaments and whatnot anyway; Etsy helps me keep it from overtaking my house. :)

Q Since you make handmade items, do you buy handmade as well?
A I try to. I love paper products and handmade ornaments.

Q Do you prefer handmade over factory made?
A Generally, yeah. I think people take more time to make sure everything is well made.

Q What is one of your favorite items that you've made?
A It's sold, but this ornament had some of the coolest color blending I've gotten. Of what's still in my store, the sunshiney yellow of this heart always makes me smile.


Q What's the hardest part about the items you make?
A Hmmm. I can think of two. I'm super-picky, so even if someone else can't see a flaw, I know it's there and won't sell it. And taking photos that represent the colors of the ornaments well. I'm getting better, but I still think they look better in person.

Q What inspires you?
A Colors and shapes. When I make my ornaments, I'm always trying different color combinations to see how they swirl and blend. Sometimes it's amazing and sometimes it's a muddy-brown mess. I also always keep an eye out for unusual shapes, so I can try something new and different.

Q What would you say to a person just starting out in the handmade world?
A Go for it! Beyond that, decide what you want this to be: a side project or a full-time job. I think that really determines the amount of time you put into it. Read the Etsy articles and forums. Look at what else is available to help you get a sense of price and audience. Promote if you can. I've done more this year and it's had a noticeable effect. And have fun. I think that's the most important part.

No comments: