Friday, December 10, 2010

Everyboy Else

Today's feature comes to us from Everybody Else in Goshen, IN. Enjoy this Q&A, get to know Everybody Else, & don't forget to check 'em on out on Etsy.

Q How did you come up with your shop name?
A My shop name is from the Switchfoot song "Chem 6a" on their "Legend of Chin" cd. I've loved that song for a long time, but also since I draw everybody else, it just seemed to fit.

Q How did you hear about Etsy?
A I read about it in Lucky Magazine and ventured online because I loved the word of Belle & Boo.

Q How long have you been on Etsy?
A Technically since winter of 2008, but I only really got serious about selling on here last December.

Q Is Etsy a full time job or something you do on the side?
A Definitely a side job. I work full time designing ads and illustrating books for a small publishing company. My illustrations are what I come home and do to relax.


Q Since you make handmade items, do you buy handmade as well?
A Oh yes. I adore the vast selection on Etsy. I've already bought several handmade gifts for Christmas on Etsy and I plan to buy more if I can find the perfect items in time to have them shipped!

Q Do you prefer handmade over factory made?
A Depends on what I'm going for. I ADORE handmade jewelry or decorative items. But I'm pretty poor myself so anything that's big ticket I tend to get at Target or Ikea. Or garage sales.

Q What is one of your favorite items that you've made?
A The newest illustrations are usually my favorites so "Fire & Night", "Winter Sunshine" and "Night Light" all have me excited right now. But "Midwest Daydreams" is also an enduring favorite.


Q What's the hardest part about the items you make?
A Creating something unique or figuring out what people want to buy. People surprise me. I sort of thought no one but me would love "God is Bigger", but I've already sold it several times in various incarnations (canvas, as aceos, kromekote prints), though not all on Etsy.

Q What inspires you?
A People. Mostly. The way they sit or stand. How they do their hair. Their clothes. What they spend time doing. I love drawing people. Everything else is secondary.

Q What would you say to a person just starting out in the handmade world?
A Good luck! Um, no, I'd tell them that there are a lot of people selling online now and that first of all - a standout product is a must. You need to grab people's attention with something unique, not just a knock off of what someone else is selling successfully - but also - it's not enough. You could be selling a cure for cancer, but if you're selling in on Etsy, just having it won't be enough. You'd better have great photos, good keywords and promote like crazy.

Blog: Everybody Illustrated
Twitter: everybodyelse01
Facebook: everybodyelse.art

No comments: