Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Tuesday's Featured Member


ShadesJewelry can be found at http://www.etsy.com/profile.php?user_id=5338708 Shades Jewelry hand makes all of their jewelry. They have some very pretty jewelry. One piece I enjoy is the Purple Cancer Awareness Watch. I had the pleasure of asking them a few questions.

1) How long have you been making the things you make?
I have been creating jewelry for over 5 years now. What started out as a hobby for me has turned in to a part-time business venture and it keeps growing! It's turned out to be a great blessing for me.

2) What inspires your work?
Everything! I will see things while driving and I think those colors would look great together in a piece. It really comes from everywhere! From nature, to business logos, to clothes, etc. Inspiration is all around if you just take time to look and enjoy!! ;-)

3) What is the hardest jewelry to make?
I don't do a lot of intricate bead weaving like some jewelry creators do. While I do work with seed beads, doing the intricate weaves and patterns is not for me! I admire those who do it because they can create some amazing pieces of jewelry, but I just don't find it easy!!

4) With saying that, what is the most difficult part in making any of it?
Trying to create enough variety for everyone's tastes or likes. I try to do a lot of different designs and techniques to create unique pieces that will interest a lot of people, but sometimes that is hard!

5) You have some neat items such as the purple Cancer Awareness Watch. Did you come up with that creation, or was it a inspiration?
I created that piece. I do a lot of cancer awareness work (sister is a four year survivor and I've lost several relatives and friends to this terrible disease) so I feel it is very important to support this cause and I'm always trying to come up with ways to create awareness for this. So when I ran across that watch face from one of my suppliers, I had to have it and create a piece with it.

6) My future sister-in-law told me about Etsy, how did you find out about it?
I belong to Ohio Beaders and one of our former members had a shop on here. I purchased some supplies from her shop a couple of times so that's how I found out about it. I have a regular website, but never invested in a shopping cart for it, etc., so I found etsy to be perfect for all of my needs when it came to expanding my business and so far it has been a great match for me and my business' needs!

7) Any upcoming ideas for the new year?
I've recently started working with copper and creating some metal pieces such as cuff bracelets and pendants. I hope to refine those skills a little more with some classes and training this year and add more of that work to my shop. I also recently added my nephew's hemp jewelry he creates to my store. So far that has been a hit with the younger crowd! I'm always searching and looking for new ideas and jewelry to add to the store so you never know what you might find when you check it out!

No comments: