Sunday, August 5, 2012

Jen's Tangled Threads

Today we start the week off with something special.  Some of you may remember the Etsy Shop Features that I use to do.  It was a great way to introduce the world to new & great shops.  Well, guess what?  IT'S BACK!!!  That's right, I'm bringing back the features.  I will try to feature one shop per day and am happy to introduce our first shop: Jen's Tangled Threads.  Jen is a self-taught crocheter & has been crocheting for a few years.  She has some great products, but I personally love the super cute Flip-Furs.  Check out the following Q & A to learn more about this great shop & it's owner.




Q: How did you come up with your shop name?
A: When I started crocheting, I made lace. I'm a perfectionist, so if I made a mistake, I would tear out the project to the point I made the mistake at. Then wind the thread up on the ball. More often than not, I'd end up with a tangle.

Q: Do you only sell on Etsy?
A: For now I only sell on Etsy or in person, such as at my son's dance studio.

Q: What inspires you?
A: Books. The need for something. I started crocheting because of a book series. The women in these books had these gorgeous, embroidered shawls. I wanted one, but couldn't sew.  So, I thought I can crochet one.  I taught myself to crochet. I still make those shawls. As for the need for something, my son dances competitively. His girls will often walk around these venues in bare feet or with half-ballets, often going into the bathrooms like this. So, I created the Flip-Fur.

Q: What is the hardest part of what you do?
A: Stopping at night to go to bed. I want to crochet all the time, but life takes over. I have my day job, dance classes, school activities. I can bring my crochet with me, and everyone wants to know what I'm working on.

Q: What is one of your favorite items from your shop?
A: In my shop, my Green Bay Packers inspired Flip-Furs. I bleed green and gold, despite living in Minnesota.


Q: What made you decide to use Etsy instead of sites like ArtFire and MadeItMySelf?
A: I haven't tried the other sites yet. So, I really can't compare.

Q: Is Etsy your only "job", or is it something you do on the side?
A: Etsy and crocheting is my hobby, for now. I work as a paralegal and sometimes I come home and tear out a current project as my stress reliever. I don't see crocheting to be a full time job anytime soon. I don't charge a lot for my Flip-Furs or my other projects.

Q: Are you attending any art shows in the future?
A: I have no plans. Which is strange because I am a planner. I just finished up a craft fair that didn't go very well. I sold 1 pair. Luckily, I was there with another gal and it was for the booster club for my son's dance studio, but it was a bust weekend.

Q: Any future projects?
A: This fall I plan on making as many NFL inspired Flip-Furs as I can. In the near future, I will be making a bridal pair of white yarn and silver eyelash yarn.

"Make something you love. Life is too short to be making something just to sell it. Find that one thing you are good at, whether it is crocheting, or painting, or dress making, or beading, and learn as much as you can. There are always new techniques. And make a quality product. Take the time to research your materials." - Jen



1 comment:

Jen said...

Thanks for the great write-up!!!