Thursday, August 16, 2012

In Jamie's Hands

Happy Friday Eve!!!  Today's shop hails from Greenville, SC.  This shop is filled with lots of prettiness.  I had a hard time picking out one item to post as my favorite.  So, I'm picking two: Silver Circle Chain with Light Purple Stones & Pink Agate and Jasper Black Leopardskin Necklace


Q: How did you come up with your shop name?
A: I used to be called Lil' Bits of Everything because I make many different items and my mom used to sell with me. I changed my name because I wanted to start fresh. My store name, In Jamie's Hands, is for two reasons: 1. It is what I create with my hands and 2. we were planning a big vacation and I felt it was in my hands to make it happen.

Q: Do you only sell online?
A: No, I am a teacher and I have a lot of friends/co-workers that buy my items. I also am starting to do craft shows again. Online is my main market, though.

Q: What inspires you?
A: My kids and my students inspire me to keep working. Color and things in nature inspire me greatly as well. Also, the talents of other people inspire me to keep going.

Q: What is the hardest part of what you do?
A: The hardest part is making sales. It requires a lot of work to draw people into your store and gain a customer base. The time factor is hard, especially when you have kids and a full-time job.

Q: What is one of your favorite items from your shop?
A: One of my favorite items is my Flower Glass Pendant.  I love my flower pendants - they are so much prettier than the pictures show. My paper supplier does a great job on items for me and they turn out beautiful.


Q: Do you only sell on Etsy? If yes, what made you decide to use Etsy instead of sites like like ArtFire and MadeItMySelf?
A: I sell on Etsy and Tophatter. I like Etsy because of the teams and it is a lot of fun to participate in BNSs and BNRs. I also love making treasuries and helping out others to promote.

Q: Is Etsy your only "job", or is it something you do on the side?
A: Etsy is something I do on the side and mainly in the summer. I am a teacher to students with orthopedic and/or health impairments. I am also a mother to two wonderful boys, ages 6 and 8. My son has dyslexia and both are involved in Boy Scouts and sports. The summer is my main time to create and work, but I try to stay as active as I can during the school year.

Q: Are you attending any art shows in the future?
A: Yes, I will be participating in Rabon Creek Farms Fair on September 22nd in Fountain Inn, SC. I will also be participating in Brookwood Church's Christmas Fair in Simpsonville, SC. I believe this is in early December.

Q: Any future projects?
A: I am constantly creating new pieces of jewelry. I do want to try out some leather items such a bracelets.

"Don't give up. There are highs and lows - good weeks and bad weeks. It is a lot of work. You have to promote and draw people to your store, it doesn't just happen." - Jamie
 


No comments: