Sunday, August 12, 2012

Alpaca Kids

Happy Sunday!  Hope everyone is having a great weekend.  We're starting week two of Etsy features with Alpaca Kids.  One of my favorite items is the Bunny Rabbit Hat.


Q: How did you come up with your shop name?
A: My brother is an alpaca farmer in the mountains of NC. A couple of years ago, my two oldest daughters were both expecting their first babies and he sent me some yarn made of his alpaca fiber so I could make sweaters for my new grandchildren. I fell in love with the texture and feel of alpaca, not to mention the wide variety of natural colors it comes in, and partnered with my brother to start my business.

Q: Do you only sell on Etsy?
A: I don't sell on any other websites. I do a lot of custom work for people I know or who come to me through referrals and sell at a couple of art/craft fairs a year, but Etsy is my only online site.

Q: What inspires you?
A: Nature, anything organic and pure, and my grandchildren, who just happen to be the cutest models I could ask for!

Q: What is the hardest part of what you do?
A: I truly love everything about what I do. The hard part is finding enough time to make everything on my "to do" list!

Q: What is one of your favorite items from your shop?
A: I love everything about this little sweater: Baby Sweater Cardigan


Q: What made you decide to use Etsy instead of sites like ArtFire and MadeItMySelf?
A: I had purchased things on Etsy and knew other people who did as well. It is the place that everyone encouraged me to sell.

Q: Is Etsy your only "job", or is it something you do on the side?
A: It's not my only job, but it is definitely where my heart lies! In my "real life" I work as a property manager for my family's business. I also direct the North Carolina Affiliate of Destination Imagination, a program that teaches the creative process to children.

Q: Are you attending any art shows in the future?
A: I will be at the River Arts District Studio Stroll in Asheville, NC on November 10-11, 2012. Find me with the alpacas outside Studio 375 Depot!

Q: Any future projects?
A: My third grandchild is due around Christmas, so I'm trying to figure out what wonderful newborn Christmas-themed things I can make!

Word of advice from Alpaca Kids: As cliche' as it sounds, the important thing is to find what you love to do and just jump in. Then be patient, stick with it, and wait and see what blessings come your way.

No comments: