Monday, January 12, 2009

7 in a day

ss10001
1) How long have you been making the things you make?
I've only been doing the micro macrame jewelry for about 6 months, but I did regular old macrame WAYYYY back in the 70's:) I get my inspiration from all sorts of places - sometimes it's the color of the cording or a beautiful bead. Sometimes I see a color combination in a clothing store that I just have to recreate in jewelry. The hardest thing about my work is stringing the tiny #11 seed beads onto the cording. I have to wear reading glasses to see them, so the bracelets with lots and lots of beads are harder to make.

2) You have some neat items such as the Amazing Purples Cuff. Did you come up with those creations, or was it a inspiration?
Thanks for the compliment on my cuff. I had seen a pattern somewhere for a wide cuff with lots of beads and just took it from there. I've made a few now, playing with different colors and may finally be getting a pattern worked out that I can live with:)

I found Etsy doing a Google search and was instantly hooked (as a buyer!!!) It's a great place to find original gifts and I think everybody should know about it!

Since my shop is fairly new (I began listing in mid-November), my goal is to build my inventory and get the word out about the pieces I offer. I really love making jewelry - it's such fun for me to find new and different ways to put the beads together with the knots. I am usually thinking up my next project before I've even finished the one I'm working on. There are always more ideas... I'm thinking I need to do a pink cuff for Valentine's Day with soft pink and some shimmery crystal beads and a bright red one with seed beads all in red but with different finishes - one matte and one shiny. I have a copper sun face I want to use as a focal in something and I've been toying with the idea of doing chokers. I have some really neat polymer clay beads I bought from a talented person (on Etsy, of course) and am trying to figure out how I could incorporate them into my designs.

I have lots more ideas than I can keep up with:)





MSHalston
1) How long have you been making the things you make?
I was 18 when I started writing "seriously." I was lucky enough to receive some very helpful feedback early on, which fueled my fire to continue. I've been drawing for less than a year, and that was borne out of my love of sequential art.

2) What inspires your work?
Oh, lots of things. People I see on the subway. Conversations I have with friends. Hypothetical yarns that unwind in my brain which I simply have to set down. Writing is my own personal schizophrenia. And I usually create visual art based on my writing.

3) What is the hardest of your work to make?
Definitely writing a novel. It's very time-consuming, but very rewarding upon completion.

4) With saying that,what is the most difficult part in making any of it?
I feel as if my visual art is the most challenging. I have to use a completely different creative muscle to draw than I do to write. And I get cranky when I don't have time to write.

5) You have some neat items such as the illustrated poem. Did you come up with that creation, or was it a inspiration?
I've seen many items on Etsy which combine text with images, but I've never seen any other sellers illustrate their own work. So I suppose I illustrated my own writing in response to that. But I do love a lot of the other illustrations I've seen on Etsy.

6) My future sister-in-law told me about Etsy, how did you find out about it?
I want to say it was my husband's Mom. She loves buying handmade items and she encouraged him to sell his photography through Etsy. Then he encouraged me to sell my books.

7) Any upcoming ideas for the new year?
For Etsy: To offer cards featuring excerpts from my plays. In general: To edit the second draft of my most recent novel. And to have a great time selling books at the New York Comic Convention. Look for me in Artist Alley!





FernandaFrick
{on vacation so I wasn't able to get any photos}

1) How long have you been making the things you make?
I've been animating since I was 13, about 5 years ago. But flipbooks, which is what I'm selling in my etsy store, just recently, less than a month ago.

2) What inspires your work?
Most of my themes are just random, it sometimes is a little of black humor or just something cute. Also I like children's books esthetics.

3) What is the hardest of your work to make?
Probably the animation, but it's the most enjoyable. The tedious part would be getting all the books together and defining the layouts.

4) With saying that, what is the most difficult part in making any of it?
Sorry I don't understand this question very well (my first lenguaje is spanish)

5) You have some neat items such as the Love Bunny Flipbook. Did you come up with that
creations, or was it a inspiration?
Yes, well, in the original animation it's a bunny that jumps around saying "I love You" in a very high pitched voice : http://chisa-chan.deviantart.com/art/Flash-The-Bunny-Loves-you-99744168 I made it specially for a contest but then I tough that making it a flipbook would be an original way to say "I love You", if you like more humorous things than romantic

6) My future sister-in-law told me about Etsy, how did you find out about it?
I found it some time ago looking for geek merchandise, but as much as I want to, I'm never been able to buy something hahaha.

7) Any upcoming ideas for the new year?
I just hope to try continue with this flipbook store even if the first months are slow. Eventually I plan to release collections of five books each periodically.




LeChicBoutique
1)How long have you been making the things you make?
What inspires your work?
I've been sewing for years. I just started making children's clothing last year, as I have 4 neices and many of my friends have little girls. I've got 2 teenage boys myself....just can't expect to get them into anything "cute" anymore!

2) What inspires your work?
I'm inspired by all the little girls in my life....My neices Haley, Lexi, Gwyneth and Fiona, and my friends' little girls Julianna, Rachel, Sammy and Merri.

3) What is the hardest of your work to make?
The hardest thing I make.......the time to create! :)

4) With saying that, what is the most difficult part in making any of it?
The most difficult thing for me to do in my creations is anything by hand. My fingers are not exactly helpful in that!

5) You have some neat items such as the om Pom Circle Skirt. Did you come up with that creations, or was it a inspiration?
I did come up with my creations, although I have seen others similar. My favorite part is coordinating the fabrics, trims and embroideries to go on the finished product. Even choosing buttons is fun.

6) My future sister-in-law told me about Etsy, how did you find out about it?
I found Etsy a few years ago when a friend purchased my Christmas present from an Etsy member.

7) Any upcoming ideas for the new year?
I have a lot of new ideas for the upcoming year. I hope to post some of my newest items within the next few weeks.





MusicalTree
Well, I have been making little illustrated stories for quite a few years...even as a child I would draw something out and have my parents add the words that I wanted to go with it. My work is inspired by many things including, children's books, Disney, and Japanese manga....I love drawing the cute characters that I feature in my stories and zines. I don't know that I would consider any of it hard, I have a lot of fun doing my art! However, the most time consuming part of making zines would have to be cleaning up the drawings, usually I make several copies before I can scan one into the computer. I start with pencil to draw the characters, then I ink them, erase the excess pencil lead, scan or copy them and then head off to a professional printing shop. All of my designs are gathered from my imagination. I freehand almost everything I make, I have tons of spirals and sketchpads full of drawings at home. I purses on my etsy site are actually some of the first things I made to sell on etsy...Even though I am probably going to go more and more towards making more illustrated books in the future. I found etsy through a random internet search for handmade stuffed animals....which let me to a crafting blog, which led me to a photo of a felted deer which led me to etsy .....(still have that deer by-the-way).....I do have some ideas for the new year...Two of my best girl-friends are getting married within this next year. I am really excited for them and their fiances. Someone had once suggested me doing an illustrated book about weddings or brides. I think it is a good idea and so I am in the beginning stages of illustrations for that. I'm thinking of it being available by, say, Valentines day. I'm going to use goldleaf paint and Ribbon binding so it will definitely be special. Also, I just finished a new zine "Christmas Kittens". I finished assembling the first batch just in time to give some as Christmas gifts (everyone loved it ^^), I didn't have time to add it to my etsy shop, but I'll add it up there nearing next Christmas, for sure :)





Keirning
Well, I started crafting at sewing at a very young age. My great grandmother, grandma and my mom were all talented at sewing and made a lot of there own clothes. We are just a creative bunch. I’m inspired by the things I can’t find. I am very picky when it comes to material things and can’t see spending a lot on something I could make myself. I would have to say the most difficult thing is finding time to sew and create. I am a full time graphic designer and only find time at night to sew. My Shana Bags are named after my sister. She owns more make-up than anyone I know and always needs something to put it all in. I came up with pattern by trial and error and with help of a plastic container lid for the curve of the flap. I found etsy through a friend only a few months ago and have enjoyed seeing all the great ideas out there. For the new year I hope to design and create more bags. I already have ideas from my other sisters, as they want a bag named after them too!





WindDancerDesigns
1) How long have you been making the things you make?
I started making jewelry at the age of three, came downstairs to show my mum a necklace that I'd made out of yarn, Q-tips, broken up crayons, pieces of felt and even a balloon - she still has the necklace...although the balloon has long since turned to dust. From there I branched out into beading - loom and freeform, wire wrapping, silversmithing and mixed media. So I have been making jewelry in one form or another for nearly 30 years.

2) What inspires your work?
I am inspired by anything really - vintage fabrics, old buildings, nature, photographs, textures and colors of materials, dreams, conversations, friends, family...and occasionally my cross-eyed cat Munchkin. He only plays with the really cool beads in my collection...at least until I catch him at it.

3) What is the hardest of your work to make? With saying that, what is the most difficult
part in making any of it?
Some pieces have been more challenging than others, complexity of design, intricate wire wrapping, etc - but I think that more stems from my bit of a perfectionist streak, rather than the piece itself. I feel that the hardest part of being an artist of any kind - as well as the best part, is the overwhelming need to create...the kind that wakes you up in the middle of the night and won't leave you alone until you've jotted down the idea or made the piece rattling around in your head.

4) You have some neat items such as the Night Out Necklace. Did you come up with that creations, or was it a inspiration?
The Night Out necklace was inspired by the contrast of dark to light on a club dance floor under a disco ball...and the way the light from the disco ball shines and makes neat patterns on the floor and walls. The faceting on the smoky quartz stones and the way the light picks up the facets reminded me of that.

5) My future sister-in-law told me about Etsy, how did you find out about it?
A friend of mine told me about Etsy, I signed up for an account and then had to move cross country so I have just been selling since mid-July 2008 - I'm really excited to see what the next year brings.

6) Any upcoming ideas for the new year?
I am madly working on new collections for both lines: Wind Dancer and Reyna Red.
Wind Dancer has bracelets coming for the Amulet Collection as well as mixed media (deerskin/metal) pieces.
Reyna Red is all about the 30's and 40's - simplicity and great sleek lines with just a hint of sparkle and sexiness.

No comments: