Thursday, January 15, 2009

5 for winning

CreativeCrafts2009
Creative and Innovative Cards, Crochets, and Knits

1) How long have you been making the things you make?
We have been making cards for around 3-4 years. We have been knitting and crocheting for about 4-5 years.
2) What inspires your work?
Our work is inspired by the beautiful, and by nature- the cards are inspired through innovative ideas, to make something different.
3) What is the hardest of your work to make?
The hardest items are the crochet items (which are not up yet), because of the concentration of making a quality product.
4) With saying that, what is the most difficult part in making any of it?
Just concentrating on being the best each item can be, because we strive for high quality creations.
5) You have some neat items such as the Make a Wish Card. Did you come up with that creations, or was it a inspiration?
Make a Wish was inspired by the Make a Wish Foundation for children with lifethreatening diseases. It was inspired to be a card to bless children of all ages, but works well for a first birthday. Another special thing is that the profits of every 10th item go toward knitting a project for a local group called Dear Dana for making children with cancer's hopital stays easier and happier. Dear Dana is in remembrance of a 13 year old who died of Leukemia.
6) My future sister-in-law told me about Etsy, how did you find out about it?
We found out about Etsy through the Internet and through my friend Lisa- http://miredo.etsy.com.
7) Any upcoming ideas for the future?
Lots more interesting cards, and interesting crochet creatins, lots of scarves.


Rachelaakmama
Paper Cakes By Rachel: Unique Party Favors

1) How long have you been making the things you make?
I have been making them for a while now.... doing mostly local business. :)
2) What inspires your work?
My children, the seasons, and celebrations inspire me! :) The hardest one to make is my cranberry and gold cake. It has fabric on it and it takes sooooooo long to create.
3) What is the hardest of your work to make?
The hardest one to make is my cranberry and gold cake. It has fabric on it and it takes sooooooo long to create.
4) With saying that, what is the most difficult part in makeing any of it?
None of the process is terribly difficult... just time consuming... takes me one to three hours per layer to make!
5) You have some neat items such as the Paper Cakes Party Favors and Center Pieces Wedding or Bridal Show 12 Slices. Did you come up with those creations, or was it a inspiration?
I was incharge of a party and I was searching for a centerpiece to make. I found the idea online.... made them.... and everyone loved them and encouraged me to make more. :)
6) My future sister-in-law told me about Etsy, how did you find out about it?
I found out about ETSY in 2007 from a friend. :) However, jus opened my shop in October of 2008.
7) Any upcoming ideas for the future?
In 2009 I hope to come out with some new fun designs for weddings and showers. :)


DiVanityDesigns
Artisan Jewelry Infused with Good Vibes and Love

1) How long have you been making the things you make?
I just started making jewelry two months ago. I was asking fellow etsy artisans to custom make jewelry for me (I had the visions in my head but at the time wasn't making jewelry) and someone told me how fun jewelry was to make so I decided to take some classes! I was hooked and obsessed from the very first class.
2) What inspires your work?
I am most inspired by the stones that I work with in my jewelry- I let them tell me how they want to be featured. :-) If I find a really special stone then it designs itself very quickly. I also am inspired by the colors in nature. An amazing sunset or driftwood on the beach has sparked some design ideas!
3) What is the hardest of your work to make?
The hardest of my work to make are probably necklaces because I am obsessed with getting everything measured perfectly. Most of my necklaces have multiple strands and everything has to fit perfectly according to my vision. Often I have to go back and add or subtract to the different strands on my necklaces to get them to lay just right.
4) With saying that, what is the most difficult part in makeing any of it?
The hardest part of jewelry design overall is the design part of it. I see what I want in my mind's eye, and then when I start making the jewelry I change my mind and take it apart or just switch my design halfway through. Usually I find that after I make something, it just isn't interesting enough so I go back and add more. This happens the most with bracelets- I am always adding more to them- more color, or different sizes, etc. My main goal is that the jewelry I make be beautiful but also unusual- I want it to be a means for self-expression for those that decide to wear my jewelry.
5) You have some neat items such as the Multi-Strand Garnet and Sterling Silver Toggle Bracelet. Did you come up with those creations, or was it a inspiration?
The bracelet: My multi-strand garnet bracelet was designed because I like to wear multiple bracelets on one wrist for added interest- one bracelet usually isn't enough, but they have to coordinate properly. That led me to thinking, "why don't I just create my own bracelets with multiple strands, with different shapes of stones?". Voila, the multi-strand bracelet was born! I actually had to put that one on hold while I waited for the smooth garnet rounds to come in- it needed more variation in size so I contacted my favorite supplier to see what she had to offer. It was worth the wait!
The multi-strand bracelet ideas allows my shoppers to get all they need in one purchase, instead of doing what I used to do, which was scour etsy for the perfect complimenting bracelets.
6) My future sister-in-law told me about Etsy, how did you find out about it?
I found Etsy on another forums that related to personal growth. People kept recommending etsy so I finally came over and I was hooked! It's dangerous as first because there are so many wonderful items! (I have a year's supply of soap that I bought off etsy!)
7) Any upcoming ideas for the future?
For the future I have tons of ideas brewing in my head, and so many beautiful stones to work with. I am excited to get my work listed in my shop! I have more design ideas than I have time for, so I have to take it one day at a time. Making jewelry is so much fun and I love spending all of my free time creating something special for my customers. Since I am just getting started my main focus is to create as much as I can and hopefully find some loving homes for my creations.


KittyKatKards
Cards

1) How long have you been making the things you make?
Folding origami is something that I've been doing since I was a kid, but I've only recently started putting them on cards.
2) What inspires your work?
Color! I love using lots of bright, bold, colorful paper with my origami and cards. I like having the challenge of using different color combinations and card layouts.
3) What is the hardest of your work to make?
I think the hardest origami for me is models that require a lot of folding. I want to make sure that I fold crisp clean lines to make the final product look perfect. Sometimes it requires a few tries to get it just right, but that's okay! Everyone needs practice.
4) With saying that, what is the most difficult part in makeing any of it?
I don't think that the folding is really particularly difficult. I think that the challenge in origami lies in being patient with yourself, paying close attention to detail, and practicing (a lot!).
5) You have some neat items such as the Troll card. Did you come up with those creations, or was it a inspiration?
I found the model in an origami book I found at the library. However, I came up with the quirky blurbs that are on the troll cards on my own. I think the trolls help give my Etsy shop some variety, something apart from the origami dresses. A little humor in the mix always helps too.
6) My future sister-in-law told me about Etsy, how did you find out about it?
One of my friends introduced me to Etsy when I told her about my homemade cards and origami.
7) Any upcoming ideas for the future?
I'm always looking for new origami models to fold and put on cards, so stay tuned!


Nascarnana
Always and Forever Gifts

1) How long have you been making the things you make?
I have been making quilts,outfits for the kids,pillows since my oldest was a baby. She will be 35 in July.
2) What inspires your work?
Different things inspire me. I really got excited about quilting again 2 years ago when I decided to make myself a Nascar quilt using bandanas. Still working on it as I have a king size bed. But it has been fun collecting the bandanas and arranging them by legends and past champions on one side and current drivers on the other. When i get it finished I probably won't want to actually use it.
3) What is the most difficult part in makeing any of it?
The hardest thing for me of all the crafts I do is making the quilt bindings.
4) You have some neat items such as the USC/Clemson House Divided Pillows. Did you come up with those creations, or was it a inspiration?
I live in a family of house divided and I thought the idea of the pillows would really be interesting on game day. Clemson side is now displayed they have bragging rights for the year.
5) My future sister-in-law told me about Etsy, how did you find out about it?
I found out about etsy from a co-worker. I sell on e-bay and locally,and she saw some of my pillows and told me about etsy.
6) Any upcoming ideas for the future?
I am branching out in to other crafts it seems as if once I started creating again the ideas just flow.

No comments: